Quote of the Week!

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

May 18, 2011

Rosemary Monkey Bread

I made this bread to go with a roast dinner. The bread tasted fine but I didn't like the texture. I think the cornmeal made it dry up and feel kind of stale. I would tweak this recipe if I make it again.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 pkg. dry yeast
3 cups all-purpose flour (more if necessary)
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary, or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp coarse black pepper
1 clove garlic, minced


Directions
  1. Place warm water in small bowl and stir in sugar. Sprinkle yeast over top and allow to rest for 10 minutes, or until bubbly.
  2. In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and salt.
  3. Stir yeast mixture down and add 1 tbsp oil. Stir into flour. Add extra flour if necessary to form smooth dough. Knead for 10 minutes. Place dough in oiled bowl and cover. Allow to rise in warm spot for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until doubled in bulk.
  4. Divide dough into about 12 balls. Combine 3 tbsp oil with rosemary, pepper and garlic. Roll balls in herb mixture.
  5. Line large loaf pan with parchment paper and place balls in pan. Cover and allow to rise in warm spot for about 1 hour, or until doubled in bulk. Bake in preheated 375 oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until puffed and golden.

No comments: