Quote of the Week!

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

April 26, 2011

Homemade Apple Pie

Here's my attempt at my friend, Elizabeth's famous pie! Hers looks much nicer but I hope mine tastes just as yummy! I'm taking it to a dinner party tonight.

Yummy Pastry

1/2 lb shortening (Lard)
1/4 cup real butter
3 cups flour
1/2 cup cold water
Pinch of salt
1/4 tsp baking powder


Cream shortening and butter together. Add flour and mix together until fine. Add salt and baking powder. Add water and mix with a fork. Roll into a ball. Makes enough for 1 full pie. Let pastry rest in fridge for at least one hour. Remove from fridge, cut in half and roll with rolling pin. Place rolled out pastry on pie dish. Place topping inside and cover with remaining pie crust. Seal the outside of crust by pinching the edges. Puncture with knife on the top to allow steam to escape.

Apple pie filling

5-6 large apples, peeled, cored and sliced
1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
1 tbsp of cornstarch or 2 tbsp flour
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
2 tbsp butter

Toss all together and place in pie shell.

Here is my pie, I hope it tastes yummy! We will see if our company enjoys it tonight!

UPDATE: It was so yummy!!! :D Yay me!

No comments: