Quote of the Week!

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

June 01, 2011

Homemade Salsa

This is an edited version of my soon to be Mother-in-law's. Her recipe calls for vinegar but we didn't like the taste of it when we first made it. Now we use lemon juice instead. In order to peel the tomatoes, place in boiling water for a few seconds until the peel looks cracked. Let cool and then the peel will come off easily.

Ingredients

6 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1.5 red pepper, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup + 1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp dried oregano
Pinch or two of crushed red chillies (I used one at first then added more after tasting)

Directions

Coarsely chop tomatoes and lightly drain. Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Boil over medium to low heat for 20 minutes (I left it much longer so there wasn't so much liquid). Put into hot mason jars. Seal jars. Put in hot water bath for 20 minutes, and then cool. (I just put it in a clean salsa jar and in the fridge. My version makes one large jar of salsa and we'll finish that soon!

No comments: