Quote of the Week!

“I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination.”

March 25, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce

Source

I halved this recipe and it looks like it is going to make lots! Also, I couldn't find tomato puree so I used tomato sauce instead. I didn't use the onion powder, Italian seasoning or fresh parsley. I added thyme and chopped red pepper. I plan to freeze some and can add more veggies like mushrooms and zucchini later. I hope it tastes good, I'll have to update later!

Ingredients

2 cans crushed tomatoes
2 cans tomato puree
1 small can tomato paste
2-3 tbsp. olive oil
4-5 cloves fresh garlic
1-2 fresh onions
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
2 tbsp. fresh parsley, minced
1/2 tsp. dried basil or 2 tbsp. fresh, minced
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1/2 tsp. salt, or to taste (add near end of cooking)
1/2 tsp. black pepper

In a large heated pot with olive oil, add finely chopped onions. When halfway done, add minced garlic. Cook until browned. Add tomato paste and mix well. Then add tomato puree and crushed tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, parsley, basil and Italian seasoning. Mix well. Cook for at least 6 hours on low heat.

No comments: